A Guide to Florida Liquor License Requirements for Events

Events are a fantastic way to bring people together, but they can also be quite the headache if liquor is served. Liquor License requirements will vary depending on where you live in Florida because each county has its own set of regulations that combine with the State regulations. In general, liquor licenses are issued by the state. For those who want to serve liquor at events, it is essential to know that a liquor license can be difficult and complex to obtain. The first step in obtaining a liquor license is finding out if you can place one at your location. If you do not have an existing one issued by the Division of Alcoholic Beverages & Tobacco, you will need to go to the Division and obtain the proper application. You will need a liquor license for any event where alcoholic beverages are served. Lucky for you, Liquor License Professionals is here to help. 

What is a liquor license?

A liquor license is a state-issued permit that allows you to sell alcohol in your establishment. Different states may have their own set of laws. Some states like Florida allow certain counties, such as Miami-Dade County, to permit alcohol sales 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Common laws are also found state-to-state, such as limiting the number of drinks you can sell to each customer and requiring unfinished bottles to be left inside the restaurant to prevent public intoxication. However, with to-go cups, this law is also varied in the State of Florida. 

Keep in mind that your license cannot be moved to another county since it is issued by the county through the State and not all licenses may be transferred to various locations.

Is your Building or Venue Located In An Appropriate Zone? 

It is critical to determine whether your property can be zoned to serve alcohol and if your property meets the requirements set by the county, allowing you to sell alcoholic beverages. It is critical to determine whether your business is in the right location for a liquor license. You may  not be able to sell alcohol near following locations:

Near Schools or Churches, and in instances to close to another licensed location. In other words, your building must be zoned or identified properly.

Is a license required if I serve alcohol to my guests at my home, a private venue, or outside?

To sell alcohol to your guests, you must either have a license issued by the Florida Alcoholic Beverage and Tobacco Law or hire a licensed caterer. It should be noted that, for a variety of reasons, licenses for alcohol sold at a private residence are not generally needed. If you’re thinking about opening up your own catering business, winery, beer distillery, or bar, you will need the proper liquor license. 

What Kind of License Will I Need? 

You will want to consider bringing the bar to the party. The Alcoholic Beverage Law in Florida allows two types of license holders to provide alcohol catering. Licensed food caterers can obtain an alcohol beverage catering license (13CT), which allows them to sell and serve alcoholic beverages at events in addition to food catering (see Working with Beverage Caterers). A consumption on-premises quota license (commonly referred to a 4COP) also allows the licensee to sell and serve alcoholic beverages at an event as long as food is provided.

What is the purpose of this license?

A Florida 13CT Catered Event Liquor License requires caterers to sell and distribute all types of alcoholic beverages at a catered event where the “licensee also provides fresh food.” Without this license, your catering company would be unable to sell or distribute alcohol, removing one of the most crucial benefit factors from your menu. Without the ability to sell or serve alcohol, you give your competitors a distinct advantage in your industry.

Consider the 4COP Liquor License for the Full Package.

Suppose you’re in any Florida county such as St. Johns, Brevard, Volusia, Collier, Lee, Charlotte, Walton, Escambia, Okaloosa, Citrus, Sarasota, Marion. In that case, you will want to consider a Quota License or  Full Liquor License. The 4COP-Quota license is one of Florida’s most demanded liquor licenses. With this license, business owners can sell beer, wine, liquor, package liquor, and cater alcoholic beverages. 

The 4COP-Quota license’s many applications are part of the reason it is so popular and costly to obtain.  With a 4COP-Quota Liquor License, business owners can sell:

  • Beer
  • Wine
  • Liquor
  • By the drink
  • By the package
  • Provide catering for events

Since this type of liquor license has so many uses in a business, it is an increasingly popular choice for small business owners. If you are a local venue, this license is an investment for lifetime profits!

How Liquor License Professionals Can Help

At Liquor License Professionals, we offer business owners a thorough understanding of which liquor license meets their needs. Our liquor license experts are here to help business owners with all of their liquor license needs and answer questions.  We offer the following services:

Get In Touch Today

Whether you’re preparing for the holidays by refinancing your liquor license or planning on selling your liquor license to turn a profit, Liquor License Professionals can help you every step of the way. With over thirty years of experience in the liquor license and hospitality industries, it’s safe to say that our team knows the details of Florida liquor licenses and the hospitality industry.

Our direct experience in the hospitality industry can help your business start turning a profit from your liquor license this year. We always strive to help business owners create the business they’ve envisioned by giving them the tools they need to succeed.

To receive more info about what we offer, contact us online or by calling (321) 274-7104 or (386) 222-9668. Establishments and their Owners can also reach us by sending an email to info@liquorlicenseprofessional.com. We are always available in person, by phone, or through email. Cheers!

Leave a Reply